Saturday, August 25, 2007

Karambit Backups

I EDC a fixed Karambit daily. My Karambit of choice is a small, readily concealable fixed blade that sits handily in a pocket. There are times like this morning, when I had to wake up super early on a Saturday to head into work, and I actually left the house without my Karambit in its normal place.

Rather than feel ill-equipped and devoid of one of my favorite EDCs, I merely reached into my bag, which I also carry with me daily, and retrieved the backup to my usual Karambit. It is an identical piece to the one I normally carry, practice and train with. Size, dimensions, weight are all the same. That makes the transition from my regular EDC to my backup negligable.

I believe having and also carrying a backup ensures that we need not ever be devoid of our primary tools of choice. Similar situations have occurred to me before, and i'm always very happy to have a backup in hand.

No comments: